My Psychic Abilities, by Vree Erickson
A girl with psychic abilities is sometimes called a witch or sorceress. I am neither. I do not practice witchcraft or sorcery, though I do have a book that contains magic spells … when the book reveals them to me. Lightning struck me and unlocked psychic abilities in me. I believe everyone has them, but some people are more “gifted” (or cursed) than others, the same way that some of us are naturally inclined towards music or mathematics, for example. The lightning changed me and has made me more aware of these abilities in me.
Psychic abilities are also known as extrasensory perception (ESP) and sixth sense. There are many kinds and I am slowly discovering and developing new ones. Below is a list of psychic abilities that I developed … or more accurately, psychic powers that appeared in me without me consciously making them happen.
Having psychic abilities can be fun and scary. The effects of psychic abilities are poorly understood, and mainstream science is not at the point of accepting the validity of scientific studies performed in parapsychology and consciousness research. Even with the available documented information detailing proof of psychic functioning, most people remain unaware of these results, and many others, like my brother and sister, have a pseudo skeptic outlook.
Mediumship or Channeling — My first ability was being able to see and talk to my dead father’s spirit. This ability includes communicating with ghosts. The latter happened after I awoke from my coma and moved to Myers Ridge in Ridgewood.
When lightning struck me, it also struck my dad and our house. It killed my dad and burned down our house, leaving my family and me homeless. I was in a coma after lightning struck me and I had a weird dream about my dad. He told me he was dead. Some people close to me who are involved with studying psychic phenomena say that this was a precognitive dream. I disagree. My dad was already dead when he came to me. Another argument, which I feel may be true, is this was a telepathic experience with him. All the same, I saw and spoke to him then, and again during and after my family and I moved to Myers Ridge.
After I awoke, Daddy told me not to tell anyone that I could see him. I think he wanted to spare me from ridicule. Most people, including me, don’t take well to things they don’t understand.
Astral or Mental Projection — When Daddy came to me during my coma, he told me and showed me that I was in a coma. I believe I traveled out-of-body where my “astral body” separated itself from my physical body. It’s been the only time I’ve done this, so I have little evidence to back my theory. But my gut says I really stood at my bedside and saw myself in bed at the hospital.
Telepathy, Mind-Reading and Thought Transference — This is the ability to receive and send thoughts and emotions, like when my family first entered Ridgewood and I received the troubled thought of a Roualen—a traveler from another planet and galaxy that became marooned with its kind on Myers Ridge. Along with this came Empathy—the ability to sense their needs, drives, and emotions—though not right away.
Precognition or Premonition — This happened once: perceiving events in flashes of detailed insight before they happened. And I certainly received plenty of strange looks from my siblings when I warned our mom of an impending traffic disaster after I saw the Mayflower truck with our meager belongings in it pass through our SUV.
Clairvoyance or Second Sight — Lenny argues that because I could see past the cloaking devices that made the Roualens look invisible to the human eye, that I am able to perceive outside the known human senses. He says this ability includes being able to read Margga’s book of magic written in a language that he cannot understand.
Retrocognition or Post-Cognition — This is the ability to see past events. I can do this only when I touch people. It isn’t something that I do purposely … it just happens.
Energy Medicine — When Margga killed Lenny, I healed his wounds and brought him back to life by somehow channeling a form of energy into his body.
Psychometry or Psychoscopy — When I touched Lenny’s dead body, I received information about his wounds and an understanding of how to heal him. Also, when I touched the Roualen spacecraft inside Myers Ridge and concentrated on the object, I received information about its damaged engine and how to fix it.
Psychokinesis or Telekinesis — This is the ability to manipulate matter by the power of thought, which I did to heal Lenny and fix the Roualen ship.
Psychic Abilities I Don’t Have
The following abeyant psychic abilities (in alphabetical order) exist and may appear in me over time. If so, who knows what will happen. Scary!
- Animal Telepathy—communicating with (but not command or influence) various kinds of creatures. Think “pet psychic.”
- Apportation—materializing, vanishing or teleporting an object.
- Aura Reading—seeing the energy fields that emanate from people, places and things.
- Automatic Writing—producing written words without conscious thought, or through the guidance of an outside intelligence.
- Bilocation or Multilocation—physically being in multiple places at the same time.
- Channeling—acting as a channel or vessel for an outside intelligence.
- Clairaudience—hearing from a long distance any sound that would otherwise be inaudible.
- Clairsentience—perceiving and understanding—“knowing”—of a hidden or forgotten fact.
- Death-Warning—envisioning a living person before his or her death.
- Dowsing—locating water or lost objects by using a rod, sticks, or pendulum. Also known as “water witching.”
- Empathy—sensing the needs, drives, and emotions of another.
- Intuition—attaining direct knowledge or cognition without rational thought or inference.
- Levitation—bodily hovering above the ground.
- Psychic Surgery—using one’s mind to remove diseased body tissue via an incision that heals immediately afterwards.
- Psychometry or Object Reading—sensing psychic impressions (vibrations) left on an object by someone connected with it. Someone with this ability could use an unfamiliar object to reveal much about its owner.
- Pyrokinesis—starting fires and manipulating them with one’s mind.
- Remote Viewing—describing or giving details about a person, place or thing that is inaccessible to normal senses due to distance or time.
- Scrying—looking into reflective, translucent, or luminescent substances such as crystals, stones, glass, mirrors, water, fire, or smoke, and seeing events at a distance and/or in the future.